Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Just Respect Others. Seriously.

Ok, I think I hit my limit on the whole Chik-Fil-A thing. Yes, we all have freedom of speech. YES it is encouraged and KUDOS to those that are actually practicing this right. I believe that we are entitled to voice our opinions and speak our minds as long as we don’t insult others in our wake. I respect people based on just one principal: you are a human. There are so many versions of us as human beings that it would be impossible to try to sit there and pick and choose person’s characteristics and base our friendships and relationships solely on those that match our criteria. All that just sounds pretty ridiculous to me….almost as ridiculous as judging someone just by their hair color or color of skin. I was raised with very strong Catholic beliefs and they are the core of who I am. This does not mean that things have to be exactly as the church dictates. I believe that we all have to change in order to grow. I know that if we don’t change; things will always remain the same. I have values and these values are the ones that allow me to accept people and their choices. I don’t have to agree with everyone – but I do respect everyone. When it comes to simple things like tattoos, piercings, body art and whatever else is popular these days… I chose not to do that to my body – but I can certainly appreciate them on someone else. The stories and meaning of the body art is very fascinating and gets someone to open a door to their soul. I really enjoy hearing the stories behind tattoos; there is always more there than you expect! Now back to my point. This is taken from their FB page for Chick fil-A Appreciation day: “We are for the freedom of Americans to speak their mind and practice their faith.” If this statement were true, why is it that there is so much against people that choose a different sexual preference? I understand that not everyone is giddy about people being openly gay. I get it – it IS different and we are not used to it. That does not mean it is wrong. I am not gay, but that does not mean I get to judge those who are. I truly believe that people that are gay are that way biologically. They didn’t CHOOSE to be attracted to the same sex. Why would anyone want to be in a controversial relationship just for kicks? Rebelliousness in some cases, maybe. I think you are born with it or grow up and realize you just are. I happen to have close friends that are gay in both sexes and they are amazing human beings. I am not saying they are better or worse – come on, they are JUST people! There is nothing different - just who they choose to spend their lives with. I cannot understand why it is not just something that can be accepted. It is beyond my comprehension. I want to add that I am very dissapointed in those that claim to be Christians and sit there and judge people that don't follow "the Biblical view of marriage". Shame on you for making negative comments. I am the person I am because of the people around me. I have my core upbringing – but I am constantly growing as a person, Mom, spouse, sibling, daughter, friend and all the other hats that I wear. I accept challenges and change with open arms. I have learned that life is too short to harbor hate or ill feelings towards anyone. I have learned to forgive. Hate kills. Love heals. Life is sweeter when you learn to breathe and stop to see what is passing you by. Elda

No comments:

Post a Comment